Blogs > The Back Page

The musings of a Detroit-area sportswriter in the digital age.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tossing octopi at the Joe: Tradition or cash grab?

In my previous post, I understood why those Wings fans got in trouble for launching octopi — they were in Glendale, Ariz.
Deadspin today tells the tale of one unfortunate Red Wings fan who hoisted an octopus in last night's win over Phoenix and was sent to jail and faces a $500 fine.
The offender claims to be an avid Wings fan with a near flawless attendance rate, who, was ushered up to the glass when he presented his eight-legged projectile.
"Walking from the upper deck to the lower, every guard and security person let me down and said 'go.' I walked down 25 seats and tossed it on the ice during the stoppage after the goal and they were cheering me," said the fan, "Tommy B." in the Deadspin report.
"All of a sudden, a guy from there said, 'You're going to jail. Come with me.' "
His citation says he was being reprimanded for throwing an object that could cause harm onto the playing surface of a sporting event.
The reason "Tommy" was cited for his toss while other patrons were left alone makes me wonder if he wasn't conspicuous enough during the deed or maybe this is an easy cash grab by the DPD. Surely we'll find out in the next couple games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home