Blogs > The Back Page

The musings of a Detroit-area sportswriter in the digital age.

Saturday, October 09, 2010

South Park takes on NASCAR

NASCAR did something several religions and celebrities haven’t done so well the past 15 years: laugh off a skewering on the Comedy Central adult-themed cartoon “South Park.”
In the midseason premiere Wednesday night, one of the show’s characters insinuated NASCAR drivers are both poor and stupid, while the rest of his friends try to tell him he’s wrong for stereotyping.


Drivers interviewed by The Associated Press seemed to be OK with the satirical nature in which their sport was portrayed.

“I think any time somebody takes the time to make fun of you is a compliment. I don’t think anybody takes offense to that,” said Danica Patrick, who will also appear on “The Simpsons” later this year. “I think we all made history being on ‘South Park.’ It’s pretty cool.”
Not even four-time defending champion Jimmie Johnson took offense when Cartman, a character on the show, had this to say about him: “I’m a little worried about that Johnson guy — he seems dumber than spit.”
“I’ve had multiple text messages saying that I was on ‘South Park,’ really, from all of my friends’ kids,” he said. “I’ve got to check it out. I haven’t seen it, but I heard that Cartman’s in a very entertaining sponsored car. I haven’t seen it yet and I can’t wait to.”
Patrick was run over by another car and killed at the end of the show, but didn’t seem to mind.
“I got killed, I was told,” she said. “Well, you know, some days I feel like that might be the easy road.”

The show’s creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, also the creators of cult-classic comedy “BASEketball,” came under fire from Islamic leaders recently for their depiction of the prophet Muhammad on the cartoon featuring elementary-aged friends in Rocky Mountain Colorado.

(For current NASCAR news and notes, read "Beyond the Track" by Oakland Press NASCAR blogger Matt Myftiu.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home