Blogs > The Back Page

The musings of a Detroit-area sportswriter in the digital age.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Timely Twittering

A couple months ago, I e-mailed a friend of mine in the business in a panic because I kept hearing about "Tweeting."
I've since calmed down as I've gotten a grasp of the concept and even learned The OP has plans for a Twitter page.
I just don't know the usefulness of the service outside of breaking news, but people obviously enjoy it, so more power to them.
The idea, as I can gather, is to tell people exactly what you're doing at a particular time. This sounds quite invasive to me, but the idea of what's breaking news is in the eyes of the beholder.
The service is so appealing that Milwaukee Bucks forward Charlie Villanueva was chastised by coach Scott Skiles last weekend for Tweeting at halftime of a game against Chicago. I don't remember the exact transcript, but something to the effect of "We're down, coach wants to see more hustle."
A rip from the coach for not having his head in the game, really? Or is Villanueva just the first of many athletes to get on this bandwagon?
(An excerpt from an Associated Press story today)
Villanueva agreed to stop tweeting during games but still isn’t sure he did anything wrong; he argued that posting to Twitter isn’t much different from doing a short television interview at halftime.
I agree with what the forward says, the NBA should embrace this technology since people are obviously crazy about it. What can it hurt? From what I can gather (again, I have yet to experience this phenomenon personally) it takes very little time, perhaps a minute or less. I liken it to sending a text message, and that typically takes about 30 seconds.
The new Women's Professional Soccer league is allowing players to post tweets during the leagues first game next Sunday and may continue the practice based on fan response.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home